5.26.2011

#16 – Anisette Brasserie’s Pain au Chocolat

“I knew it would happen…the day would finally come. But not this soon! I figured it would be at least halfway through…maybe by pLAte 35 at the earliest,” I dejectedly said to John as we wandered down the Santa Monica 3rd Street Promenade.

Now, I know what you are thinking – he is cashing out his chips at pLAte #16. What a wimp! No, no, no my foodie friends – what happened this past Wednesday night was far worse. Let me explain …

John suggested we head out to the movies to see Bridesmaids starring Penelope, err…The Target Lady, umm…Gilly.

John - “It’s Kristen Wigg.”

Right, right the Suze Orman look-a-like. Anyways…there were some stipulations on this little adventure.

John - “Well we can go see it in Marina Del Rey, Downtown at LA Live, Santa Monica or at Universal Studios CityWalk!”
Me – “CityWalk?!? Great, maybe we can take a ride in that wind tunnel machine while we’re there too.”

Crazy stipulations can only mean one thing…you guessed it, there was a Groupon purchase involved in this endeavor.

John – “Don’t make fun, it’s a good value!”

While dinner at Bubba Gump Shrimp and bowling at Jillian’s was incredibly tempting, I made the executive decision to pass on CityWalk and head to the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica.

“Besides we can cross another pLAte off the list!” I insisted.

Anisette Brasserie is tucked away on one of the side streets off the main Promenade drag in Santa Monica. According to Jonathan Gold’s list it offers up a Pain au Chocolat pastry that rivals the best in Paris. For those who aren’t familiar with this delicate treat, think melted chocolate inside of a buttery croissant. 


Have I got your attention now?

What I pictured in my head of this quaint brasserie was an open aired bakery akin to the one Meryl Streep owned in It’s Complicated. You know, bright and airy with the sweet smell of pastries filling the air. What I saw upon arriving was a slightly different image….


Closed! FOR GOOD!!! And even worse...a new restaurant has already taken its space. After inquiring with the folks inside, they assured me there was not a Pain au Chocolat anywhere on the premises.


Me - “Well this is a disaster of epic proportions!”
John – “Yea no kiddin, I mean now where are we gonna get dessert?”
Me – “John…Priorities! This changes the whole premise of the blog!”
John – “Sorry, I didn’t hear you. I’m googling the closest Yogurtland.”

Well there ya have it folks, we are officially down one. I guess that’s what happens when it takes six months just to get to the sixteenth pLAte on the list.

We’ll be back next week with an all new post, in the meantime…I wonder if anyone has nabbed the domain www.98-plates.com.

Anisette Brasserie
CLOSED




1 comment:

  1. Anisette croissant and pain au chocolat will be avalbale at Maison Giraud in pacific palisades. The Pastry Chef who made them at anisette is hired for the new restaurant and they are featuring a full bakery as well...it going to open very very soon!
    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete